Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Books and Reading



We all know Oprah tells America what to read. Indeed I have unknowing read the books on her list (alas I am no longer original!) But lets face it, Oprah, being the billionaire that she is, probably has minions who majored in English going about reading books and then telling her what to read. I highly doubt that Oprah would willingly open The Sound and the Fury. I admit it would be a pretty sweet job just to curl up in Pj's read a few books and then phone Oprah and tell her what to read next. Pillars of the Earth was another one on her list, its a LONG book. Not to mention it gets really old when everything keeps going wrong for the characters. Ken Follett is totally following Kurt Vonnegut's advice.
Anyway... as it turns out Oprah really doesn't have much to do with what I was going to write about in the first place. Since I LOVE to read, and during the semester never seem to be able to read for pleasure I have made a new goal, ding ding ding! (add it to the list! {list of goals soon to follow this post}). Read a book a month. Although I didn't notify you (who are we kidding, no one reads this blog) about my February book, I'll just tell you what I read. Harry Potter 1-5 during my week at home. But I don't want to count those because I read them before the semester started. What I did read was Counting Coup by Larry Colton. It's about a women's basketball team in Hardin MT and how Native American Indians (in this case Crow Indians) play basketball and all the hardships they face on a daily basis. Being a fan of basketball and native american relations this is one of my favorite books! Depressing and real it will capture your heart (and then break it). My next book is going to be extremely similar. Again about basketball and Montana. Blind Your Ponies by Stanley G. West is my March book. The author is coming to my town this month and I figure I can go hear him speak (fingers crossed!). My sister just gave a great review of it in her blog, "sealed with a kiss."

No comments:

Post a Comment