Sunday, May 15, 2011

NATIONALS.

Nationals finished with a bang and a fizzle. The bang of lightning/thunder and the fizzle of our dreams of finally defeating Methodist. We were down 12 strokes going into the final day. But Methodist was coming down hard after the first 9 holes of the final round. I was playing like never before and even par after 11 holes (I got my first bogey on the 11th hole). Then right as I am about to hit my eight iron perfectly to 12 green they blew the lightning horn.
NCAA rules dictate that we wait 30 minutes after a lightning strikes within 10 miles of the course. After every lightning strike the 30 minute count restarts. We came in to the pro-shop at 5 pm. At 6 I started to cry because I knew that the lightning wasn't stopping and we wouldn't get to finish. Methodist had won again. I would never know if I could have continued that amazing round. What a let down. Coach had bought silly string in case we won... it kind of broke my heart when we saw him unload it from his bag.
Anyway yesterday after we got back and a long nap I proceeded to both drown my sorrows of an unfinished round and celebrate the face that I was an All American due to my 6th place individual finish.
For a girl who hasn't drank because of a long sports season has little to no alcohol tolerance. Unfortunately my dear friends didn't think of that and thought the amount I was drinking was perfectly acceptable. They should have know that after every new group of people that got on the gus bus I shouted "I'M AN ALL AMERICAN!" that I would not last too long. We made it to the bar just in time for me to puke my brains out and need to be taken home.
Oh the memories.
In any case I am extremely proud of my teammates and thankful for my supportive parents and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment