Saturday, June 11, 2011

BOOKS. I LOVE.

I LOVE BOOKS. I love to read and then I like to think about the books I've read. My mind goes on a whirl and I get a high from books.
Here are the books I love the most.
1. Pride and Prejudice. So complicated and complex. The characters are deep and changing. Plus it teaches the lesson of judgement. Sometimes you have to judge and sometimes you have to take a closer look at circumstances. One must also recognize that introverts are not trying to be rude. Maybe I am just a sucker for the happy ending, but who doesn't love a strong female protagonist who puts a man in his place?
2. Bloomability. I think I love this book because it got me through the tough years of middle-school. It shows the reader that sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Life is full of changes and scary times but for the most part everything turns out. I also just really like the personality of the narrator.
3. This House of Sky. The title is as beautiful as the writing. Ivan Doig writes of his childhood in western Montana. He has adventures and really captures the essence of Montana, in all its ruggedness, beauty and harsh weather. His descriptions are breathtaking and the movement of his sentences are lovely. Whenever he mentions a mountain range I can feel the familiarity I have with that landscape.
4. Jacob Have I Loved. This book is a little anti-climatic but it really shows the unfairness of life yet how life goes on. Sometimes you just have to move on and not be too bitter. It also makes me question the Bible a bit.... which always makes for some interesting pondering.
5. My Antonia. Willa Cather is an amazingly simplistic writer. But the way she tells a story is lovely. Anything is interesting and she gives you that feeling that you are right there with her and she is telling you the story. I also love O Pioneers! Both books have a chillingly realistic ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment